Wednesday 17 December 2014

Day 17 - City of Christmas Ghosts - Goldblade featuring Poly Styrene


One of the unexpected pleasures of rattling around here every December is discovering odd things that I would probably have otherwise missed and finding associated tracks beyond it to keep me going for the rest of the year.  F’er instance, who’d have thought when I started this that I’d have two records in different calendars both featuring Poly Syrene?

Now I was a bit of a Germ Free Adolescent back in the day but I’d not really sought out Poly after until I discovered her ‘Black Christmas’ song released in 2010 ( Day 17 at http://blaggadventcalendarchristmassongs2011.blogspot.co.uk/), that led to listening to some of the impressive new music she was producing. Sadly, following the release of the excellent ‘Generation Indigo’ album, the former Marianne Elliott-Said tragically died from cancer in April 2011 and rock lost one of it’s true innovators.

Before that though, Poly had collaborated with John Robb – ex Membranes front man and, effectively, Goldblade – to  produce ‘City of Christmas Ghosts’ in 2008. Initially just ‘City of Ghosts’ from Goldblade’s ‘Mutiny’ album of the same year, the Christmas version was remixed for seasonal release on red and green vinyl and just the thought of holding that makes me drool with pleasure (It doesn’t take much to make me happy nowadays).


No comments:

Post a Comment